It depends on the device you are using (Windows PC, Macbook, Nintendo Switch, Steam Deck, Android Phone, etc) and the game you are playing.
The method you are going to adopt will vary and we have listed some methods you can use. Choose one which is similar to your device and follow our recommendation:
Saving Game from Windows PC To SD Card
According to Microsoft, as of January 2022, there are about 1.6 billion devices around the world running on Windows Operating Systems (either windows 7, 10, or 11). This shows how huge the number of people using Windows PC in the market.
Very likely one of us will have a Windows PC at home. In this example, we will download the popular game “Bubble Shooter Classic” on a Windows PC and transfer the game to an SD Card.
Here are the steps you can follow:
- Open the folder that contains the game you want to transfer to the SD card.
- Select the game, right-click your mouse, and choose “Copy”.
- Select your SD card and open the folder you want your game to be saved and choose “Paste”.
- Wait until the game is transferred, then you can remove the SD card from your Windows PC.
Below is the screenshot of the SD card showing you the game “Bubble Shooter” has been saved on it:
When you click on the “Bubble Shooter Classic” folder, it will show you the game detail:
You may insert the SD card on another Windows PC and start playing the game from the SD card, by selecting the “engine” application.
Transferring Game from MacBook To SD Card
Copying your game from your Apple MacBook to your SD card is as straightforward as file transfer. You can do the following steps:
1) Go to the Applications folder and search for the game you want to transfer.
2) Select the game you want and right-click your mouse, and choose Copy “your game”.
3) Locate your SD card drive and select the folder you want to save your game.
4) Right-click your mouse and choose “paste item”.
5) Wait for your game to transfer from MacBook to the SD Card.
If you prefer to play games online, you may consider subscribing to Apple Arcade online. You will be able to enjoy 200+ fun games all without ads.
Here is one of my favorite games -> Ocenhorn 2: Knights of the Lost Realm. This game takes you on a magical journey across the vast world of Gaia, overflowing with legends and myths.
It is one of the best-looking adventure games, and you can collect powerful items, solve mysterious puzzles, and discover Arcadia and its neighboring kingdoms!
Save Your Nintendo Switch Game On an SD Card
Nintendo Switch has an internal memory of only 32GB. This is not sufficient if you are a heavy gamer. Whenever you have used up memory space, it is time for you to consider an external memory card to store your games.
Games like Zelda Breath of the Wild will take up 13GB of memory. If you have 3 of such kinds of games, you will run out of space easily. Want to see how this game is played? Watch below YouTube Video:
Moving a game from your Nintendo Switch to an SD Card is very easy. Follow the procedures stated below:
- At the Home screen, go to the bottom bar and click System Setting.
- On the left side, choose the option “Data Management”.
- On the right side, select “Move Data Between System / microSD Card.
- Two options will appear, choose “Move to microSD Card”.
- A list of games will appear, select the game you want to move and click the “Move Data” button on the right side.
- Next click on the “Move” button on the left side to complete the process.
Prefer to watch a video? Check out the below YouTube we have selected for you:
Put Your Steam Deck Game On an SD Card
Here are the steps you can follow:
- First, go to the Settings Menu.
- Select “Storage” from the option on the left.
- You will see a list of all your games on the Steam Deck internal memory.
- Choose the game you want to move to the SD card.
- Click the “move’ button and your games will be on the SD card.
The below video will show you how to move your game from the Steam Deck to an SD card:
Want to know which type of SD card is best for Steam Deck gaming device?
-> Check out our article “Best SD Card for Steam Deck” on this website.
Transfer Game On Android Phone To SD Card
Compare with Apple iPhone, Android Phones provide more flexibility in terms of transferring data/games to another location.
Here we show you what are the steps you can follow to transfer your favorite game to the SD Card:
1) Go to Settings and select Apps.
2) Choose the Apps (Game) which you want to transfer to the memory card, for the demo we choose “Pokemon Go”.
3) After you have selected the “Pokemon Go” Game, choose the “Storage” option on the screen.
4) Click the “Change” button on the left.
5) Select “SD Card” from the options.
6) The next screen will show you it will Export Pokemon Go game to the SD Card. Click the Move button at the bottom right.
7) While the game is transferring, do not remove the SD card. The Pokemon Go game app will not be available until the transfer is complete.
You can start playing Pokemon GO game from the SD card now!
SD Cards Suitable for Gaming
The latest games in the market require you to have an SD card that can run faster and able to store more games. The faster your memory card, the quicker those games on it will load.
Based on the gamers’ feedback, we recommend having the following specification if you wish to save your games on the SD card:
- having a transfer speed of 60 to 90MBps, therefore card with V60 or V90 is the best. Card with a Video Speed Class of V90 has a minimum sequential write speed of 90MB/sec.
- if your card only has speed class marking (a C symbol surrounding a number), choose one with C10 which has a minimum sequential write speed of 10MB/sec.
- for cards with a UHS Speed Class (indicated by either number 1 or 3 inside a U symbol), you may want to choose one with a U3 rating (which gives you at least 30MB/sec sequential writing speed).
- choose an SD card with a storage capacity of 128GB and above.
*Note: Keep in mind that all those symbols or markings are just baselines. You can find the actual speed of the SD card on its packaging or on the card itself.
Also, the device you put in the SD card is crucial. Nintendo Switch is only capable of transfer speeds up to 95MB/sec. Therefore, a faster SD Card is useless on the Switch.
How much time does it take for a game like Zelda Breath of the Wild (file size is about 13GB size) to transfer from the Nintendo Switch to an SD Card?
You can calculate the time taken by dividing 13 x 1024 by 95:
- 13 x 1024 MB / 95MB/sec = 140 seconds => about 2 minutes
It is not that difficult to save your games on the SD card with all the demo/tips shown above
Transferring/saving the games on an external SD card, can free up the space of the internal memory for other important tasks.
Here is one of the best SD Cards from Amazon that you can consider putting your games on it. It has a V90 rating and a capacity of 128GB.