We have done various research on the internet and came up with the best brands and types of Standalone smartwatches for you. Take a look at these smartwatches and if you find one which meets your needs, get one today and enjoy it.
Main Functions of Standalone Smartwatch with Cellular Functions
According to Wikipedia, the smartwatch has the capabilities of a computer in the form of a watch and recent models have incorporated the touch interface on the watch surface. Different sensors and processing power are also included within the smartwatch to make it even more intelligent and provide useful information to the users.
Smartwatch has evolved and become an independent, standalone device itself without the need for a smartphone to support its features. You can wear your smartwatch without carrying a smartphone with you, and do all the usual activities with it.
Here are some common types of functions you can find on a Standalone Smartwatch:
- make and receive calls with a SIM card or eSIM; cellular-enabled
- receive text messages, notifications from your smartphone
- display time and date, alarm clock, timer, stopwatch
- provide weather status and forecast
- access Maps
- play Music
- track your swimming workout
- GPS tracking
- wireless payment
- fitness tracking
- health diagnostics like heart rate, ECG, blood oxygen
- sleep monitoring
- access to the manufacturer or third-party apps
We expect more advanced functions will be incorporating into the smartwatch in the next few years. With the Internet of Things becoming common in most places, Standalone Smartwatch is likely to use in wider applications. There are already sensors within the smartwatch, more components could be added to increase its capability.
More and more smartwatch makers are adding cameras to it. Using the smartwatch to open a door or starting a car is also likely to materialize. As long as humans can imagine, it could be the next function to consider.
Smartwatch with sim
Comparing those smartwatches that need to work with a smartphone, smartwatch with sim allow you to work independently without a phone.
This is particular useful for runners and swimmers who like to keep thing light and simple. Smartwatch with sim can connect directly with the cellular provider, and provide instantaneous communication.
For runners, they are able to receive urgent call during the run. Swimmers too can get direct notification when people want to reach them, in the case of emergency.
However, there is a drawback for a sim smartwatch. You need to subscribe to a data plan every month, which in time to come will add up a lot of money.
Smartwatch For Learning
One of the potential usage of the smartwatch is learning. In this aspect, we yet to see any kind of application being developed and widely promoting in the market. There are some researches pointing in this direction, and whoever come up with the innovation learning idea using the smartwatch, they are likely to catch the market with big wave.
Popular Brands of Standalone Smartwatch with SIM
These are the popular brands of Standalone Smartwatch come with SIM card or built-in eSIM you can find on the market:
Apple was founded in 1976 and introduced the first Apple Watch in 2015. Since then, it has released various series and uses watchOS on its smartwatch. The company has maintained its leading position in the smartwatch market, thanks to its iPhone popularity. The challenge now is improving the battery life of the Apple Watch. Apple has expanded the features of the smartwatch, allowing you to manage your calendar, delivers reminders, provide directions, enables interface with various applications without carrying your phone. Apple intends to make further contributions in the area of wellness and health segments. We shall see more developments from Apple in this market.
Samsung was founded in 1938 as a trading company and entered the electronics industry in the late 1960s as Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. The first Samsung Smartwatch was Galaxy Gear released in 2013, as a companion for Samsung Galaxy Smartphones and Tablets. Since then, different models and versions have come on board from Gear Series (2013 to 2017) to Galaxy Watch Series (starting from 2018 till now). It has its own Smartwatch operating system called Tizen OS with the latest version 5.5 on Samsung Galaxy Watch 3. Rumor on the internet that Samsung may switch to WearOS from Google for its coming new Galaxy Watch 4 or Galaxy Watch Active 4 model to allow more apps development.
Mobvoi launched the TicWatch line of Smartwatches in 2015, powered by its own TicWear OS with Google operating system. It has since switched over to Google’s WearOS for its Pro version and is compatible with Android and iOS devices. There is a 4G/LTE version offered by Verizon for those who need a cellular connection on the go. It is empowered by Mobvoi’s proprietary layered display technology.
4.Fossil Group, Inc.
Fossil Group, Inc is an American fashion designer and watch manufacturer founded in 1984. Their brands include the famous Swiss Zodiac watches. The first smartwatch by Fossil was in 2015 and has since released more than 150 smartwatches, hybrid smartwatches, and fitness trackers throughout 40 countries.
The company was founded in 1987 as a technology company in China. Since then, it has expanded into many product lines including the smartwatch market. Huawei overtook Apple in 2018 as the 2nd biggest smartphone manufacturer in the world, after Samsung Electronics. The first Huawei Smartwatch was released in September 2015 and its own Harmony OS for the smartwatch was unveiled in 2019. Huawei also has its own app store call Huawei AppGallery, aiming to compete with Google’s Android Play Store.
Amazfit brand belongs to Zepp Health Corporation in China, which was founded in 2013 and formerly known as Huami Corp. In February 2021 the company name was changed to Zepp Health Corp. It has strong collaborations with other US companies like Timex Group and AliveCor Inc to incorporate more medical functionality within its smartwatches. In 2019, Zepp shipped 42.3 million smart wearable devices.
According to a Global Smartwatch market research in 1H2020, Apple is leading with a market share of 51.4%. Huawei and Samsung have 9.4% and 7.2% of the market respectively. Amazfit is getting popular recently climbing up fast with a 2.4% market share. For Fossil, it is in the niche designer watch market therefore market share is relatively small only at 2.1%. As for the TicWatch brand under Mobvoi corporation, the same for other smartwatch makers its share is negligible small to include in the market survey this round.
Apple and Samsung are constantly competing with each other. They have their own watch OS and have many developers supporting their apps at every new release. We expect them to launch new series every year.
More smartwatch makers are also joining the games and we expect more innovative products to be released in the coming years. There may be cross-over products appearing soon and one product which we foresee is the headband or eyewear market. How about a brain wave headset that able to control another device to open/close or on/off function? It is up to your imagination to come up with a new product which other has not thought about.
11 Best Types of Standalone Smartwatches with SIM
“We are supported by our audience on this website. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.”
Consumers are spoiled with choice as smartwatch manufacturers continue to innovate and launching newer models/types each year. Apple has been introducing new series each year since its 1st model in 2015. Samsung is doing the same, with even more variety of models to select.
We listed out a bun of Standalone Smartwatches with cellular capabilities for your consideration:
1.Apple Watch Series 6 (Apple stop selling from Oct’21)
- announced in September 2020
- using faster S6 chip rather than S5 used in Series 5 (20% faster)
- the display is 2.5 times brighter than the Always-on display on Series 5
- using U1 ultra-wideband chip to identify location precisely
- having both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi instead of only 2.4GHz in Series 5
- blood oxygen monitoring to understand user overall fitness and wellbeing
- always-on altimeter allows you to track your current elevation in real-time (series 5 is a barometric altimeter)
- have 40mm/44mm case (same as series 5)
- 32GB capacity (same as series 5)
- 18-hour battery life (same as series 5) but faster charging complete full charge within 1.5 hours
- GPS/GNSS and GPS/GNSS+Cellular/LTE models (same as series 5)
- water resistance up to 50m (sames as series 5)
- Bluetooth 5.0 (same as series 5)
- electrical heart sensor and second-generation optical heart sensor (same as series 5)
- high/low heart rate and irregular heart rhythm notifications (same as series 5)
- menstrual cycle tracking (same as series 5)
- ECG app (same as series 5)
- international emergency calling, Emergency SOS, and fall detection (same as series 5)
- compass and altimeter (same as series 5)
- loudspeaker, built-in mic
- support Apple Pay purchases
- support LTE/cellular connectivity
- support family setup (for GPS+cellular models)
- The blood oxygen monitor is the most prominent feature Apple introduced in Series 6, to further enhance its health monitoring capabilities and fitness workout applications.
- New Watch OS 7 was rolled out after the release of the Apple Watch Series 6 and SE. That allows new features like sleep tracking, automatic handwashing detection, and plenty of watch faces. One particularly useful feature is the unlocking of your iPhone while wearing a mask.
- Apple Fitness Plus subscription was announced together with Watch OS 7, allowing subscribers to watch a collection of workouts on Apple devices like iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV. One interesting feature it offers is, while you are exercising you can see your fitness data on the device screen. The monthly fee is US$9.99 for the USA market.
2.Apple Watch SE
- using S5 processor (same as series 5)
- have 40mm/44mm case (same as series 6)
- the display is only a Retina display (not always-on), meaning you need to raise your wrist or tap the screen to see your time, calories, and other data.
- water resistance up to 50m (same as series 6)
- high/low heart rate and irregular heart rhythm notifications (same as series 6)
- international emergency calling, Emergency SOS, and fall detection (same as series 6)
- support LTE/cellular connectivity (same as series 6)
- support family setup (for GPS+cellular models, same as series 6)
- compass and altimeter (same as series 6)
- Price is more affordable at US$120 cheaper than Series 6 with lesser features and functions
- only aluminum casing is available in this model
- lack of health monitoring features like ECG and pulse oxygen sensor
3.Apple Watch Series 7
Apple has released the new series 7 in September 2021 and it will be available from October 15 onwards. Consumers can start ordering from October 2021 onwards.
- More Advanced Features:
- up to 33% faster charging than series 6
- 5 new aluminium colours
- 20% more screen area than series 6, by reducing the borders by 40% without expanding the watch dimensions
- Always-On Retina Display and 70% brighter when indoors
- new QWERTY keyboard lets you input your text/message, with machine learning to predict the word you are typing
- same Scribble feature allows you to write text on the screen or send email
- durable design equip with crack resistant, dust resistant as well as water resistant
- have measurement sensors to take your blood oxygen level and heart rate
- take your ECG anytime as and when you want
- sleep tracking feature to meet your sleeping goals
- dozens of workout activities for you to improve your fitness level
- music, podcasts and audiobooks on your wrist
- cellular option for you to consider, if you prefer to leave your iPhone at home
- Apple Wallet allows you leave your wallet and credit cards at home
4.Samsung Galaxy Watch 3
- 8GB storage space
- FDA-approved ECG monitoring to detect signs of atrial fibrillation
- blood pressure monitoring
- fall detection
- was launched in August 2020
- 41mm/45mm two sizes to choose from
- LTE version allows phone calls and responds to messages without your smartphone
- always-on screen (360 x 360 pixel)
- Samsung Tizen OS
- T9 keyboard useful for texting in case call is not possible
- VO2 Max readings to measure the oxygen your body is taking, the higher the better
- rotating bezel for easy navigation
- sleep tracking
- SpO2 sensor informing breathing disturbances while sleeping
- 340mAh battery life lasting for about 2 days (longer battery life than Apple Watch)
- Samsung Pay
- less storage than Apple Watch Series 6
- can work with Android phone and iPhone (some functions are limited)
- round watch face design vs Apple square face design
- only stainless steel and titanium are offering from Samsung, whereas Apple has an aluminum casing
- able to monitor your blood pressure (not on Apple Watches yet)
5.Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2
- ECG and blood pressure monitoring, just like Galaxy Watch 3
- sleep tracking capabilities (same as Galaxy Watch 3)
- SpO2 sensor (same as Galaxy Watch 3)
- sleek and compact design than Galaxy Watch 3
- has a golf edition and an Under Armour edition
- water-resistant up to 50m depth (just like Galaxy Watch 3)
- no rotating bezel like Galaxy Watch 3, instead of having a touch bezel
- same VO2 max as Galaxy Watch 3
- fall detection
- built-in GPS
- it is more fitness-focused than the Galaxy Watch 3
- cheaper by US$120 than the Galaxy Watch 3
- only 4GB internal storage compare with 8GB on Galaxy Watch 3
6.Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 / Galaxy Watch 4 Classic (coming)
Samsung may be launching the new Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 4 Classic in August this year. New features will be included to compete with Apple Watch Series 7.
- Possible Features:
- able to measure body fat using its new feature called Bio-Electrical Impedance Analysis (BIA)
- new processor
- new WearOS 3.0 in partnership with Google
- Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, 2.4GHz Wi-Fi b/g/n
- 247mAh battery
- Samsung Pay
- circular Super AMOLED screen
- accelerometer, barometer, compass, gyro, GPS
- heart rate monitor
- SpO2 sensor
- fall detection
- sleep tracking
- IP68 rating for dust and water resistance
- loudspeaker and microphone
7.Huawei Watch 3 (with eSIM)
- 1.43″, 456×456 resolution AMOLED display with full-screen touch gesture operation
- Run HarmonyOS 2.0
- 2GB RAM, 16GB storage
- 3 days battery life using smart mode
- up to 14 days when in ultra-long battery life mode
- high-precision temperature sensor – detecting skin temperature e.g. fever
- fall detection
- on-device Huawei AppGallery
- made of stainless steel and ceramic chassis
- Kirin 710L processor
- SpO2 blood oxygen detection
- ECG sensor
- new coronary heart disease screen
- 5ATM water resistance
- the display is not an always-on screen
- similar to Apple and Samsung watches, Huawei watches are well-built for running, swimming, and cycling
- if you need long battery life, Huawei Watch 3 is better than Apple and Samsung
8.Huawei Watch 3 Pro (with eSIM)
- fairly similar specs as Huawei Watch 3
- 790mAh longer battery life than Watch 3
- 5 days battery life using smart mode
- up to 3 weeks when in ultra-long battery life mode
- made of titanium and ceramic
- powered by HarmonyOS 2.0
- 1.43″ AMOLED round shape display with 466 x 466 pixels
- 2GB RAM and 16GB internal storage
- also 5ATM water resistance
- more heavy than Watch 3 (63g vs 54g)
- support both iPhone and Android phone
- display size could be too big for those with smaller wrist
- super big battery capacity compared with those on the market currently
9.Fossil Gen 5 LTE (only compatible with Android phone)
- First Smartwatch with cellular function
- Only work with Verizon Wireless
- using eSIM
- powered with WearOS from Google
- 45mm case, stainless steel
- Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, WiFi, NFC
- 1GB RAM, 8GB Storage
- 1.28″ AMOLED, 416×416, 328ppi, always-on display
- water resistance
- optical heart rate sensor
- built-in speaker and mic
- 310mAh battery
- Snapdragon Wear 3100 SoCs
- not compatible with iPhone
- still using old hardware
- can use the Toyota Remote Connect App on Fossil Gen 5 LTE to start your car from afar
10.TicWatch Pro 4G/LTE
- has 1GB of RAM, 4GB ROM
- Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 2100 processor
- Google Assistant
- 2-5 days of battery life in smart mode, 30-days in essential mode
- offer cellular function
- IP68 water and dust resistance
- heart rate monitoring
- TicMotion proactive motion tracking
- MIL-STD-810G durability
- Google Pay via NFC payment
- AMOLED display
- Mobvoi’s proprietary layered display technology help to extend its battery life
- Have Mobvoi’s own TicHealth app
- GPS, GLONASS, and Beidou satellite support with accuracy comparable to Garmin running watch
11.Amazfit Nexo 4G
- the eSIM feature is only available for UK, Germany, Spain, and Vietnam
- Zepp App (formerly known as Amazfit App)
- eSIM allows you to make and receive calls without carrying your phone
- built-in microphone and speakerphone
- 1.39″ AMOLED screen (454 x 454 resolution) with Corning Gorilla Glass to protect from scratches
- optical sensor to measure the heart rate
- ECG electrocardiogram sensor in contact with your skin to detect arrhythmias or joint fibrillations
- GPS + GLONASS sensor, acceleration sensor, and compass
- sleep tracking
- IP68 water resistance
- Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 2500 1.1 GHz processor
- 512MB of RAM and 4GB of storage
- 430 mAh battery and is fully charged in 1.5 hours
- 2.4GHz WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2
- can use Amazon Alexa remotely on this smartwatch
- having Zepp Health’s (formerly Huami) own PAI (Personal Activity Intelligence) Health Assessment System to understand user physical performance at a glance
- 512MB RAM seem too small compared with other brands of smartwatch on the market
Standalone Smartwatch with LTE Cellular Pricing
The pricing of the Standalone Smartwatch varies widely, and it can be a very expensive model to a cheap one for the kid. Depending on your needs and budget, you have plenty of choices to make nowadays.
As a general guide, the LTE Cellular function will cost you an extra US$100 over the WiFi+Bluetooth model. In addition, you need to sign a contract with a carrier who provides you the SIM card or eSIM for the carrier service. It is currently priced at US$10 per month for most of the carriers in the United States.
Standalone Smartwatch Best Suitable For Your Activities
If you check on the internet, there are a wide variety of smartwatches for you to buy. You need to decide what you intend to do with the smartwatch. A smartwatch is not to replace the smartphone completely, and it will never be (at least for a while). List down 3 to 5 of the activities below you intend to use the smartwatch for, and choose that smartwatch offering these features:
- mountain hiking
- casual exercise
- health monitoring
For example, if you wish to track your running performance and at the same time receiving phone calls without carrying your phone with you. Choose a smartphone with a cellular function so you can leave your phone at home. At the same time, select the smartwatch with running apps with a full performance analysis report for you to review. You may omit those smartwatches with Ski or mountain hiking features, to avoid paying extra for these unnecessary functions.
Places to Buy Your Standalone Smartwatch
There are various popular marketplaces where you can buy different types of smartwatches. Amazon Online Store is our first choice when comes to buying and reviewing electronics products. You will be able to compare all the models and check user reviews before you make a final purchase.
The other alternative is to check on the manufacturer’s website and buy directly from them. However, we notice the price offered at Amazon is usually better if you wish to have a good deal.
Places to get your Standalone Smartwatch:
- Amazon (our recommended place to buy your favorite smartwatch)
- Apple store
- Samsung store
- Manufacturer own store
Wish to check which smartwatch is the one you want?
Click the below picture to visit the Amazon store today.
< Amazon Online Store >
You can also shop for other related products to go with your smartwatch. There are plenty of choices for you to browse through. You are going to love them. Click the below photos and have fun in your shopping.
Apple has a very good ecosystem that comprises a full range of devices to support most of your requirements, ranging from Macbook Pro, iMac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch. This allows users of its product to interact with each device seamlessly.
For those who have no budget constraints and like to have the latest advanced gadgets, getting the newer Apple Watch Series 7 will allow you to utilize the latest features/functions from Apple. It will greatly enhance your lifestyle.
If you have a limited budget and consider yourself a healthy person with no sickness, the Apple SE model should meet most of your daily needs. The cost is not a huge outlay and you can enjoy all the new functions from the new Apple Watch.
Looking for other electronics products to use at home? Check out our article onTypes of SSDs here.
4 thoughts on “11 Best Standalone Smartwatch With eSIM Cellular”
Thanks for listing several standalone smartwatches. I’m actually interested to buy as a preparation after the lockdown period has been lifted in my country. My lifestyle isn’t that active, so I’m not interested in Galaxy Active or Amazfit. I’m also not a fan of Apple products, so it seems the Fossil ones is good for me. How do you think about it when comparing to Galaxy Watch Classic?
Fossil design is very sleek and fashionable. Furthermore, it is a reputable watchmaker for many years so you can be assured of the performance and quality of the watch. The three buttons on the side are unique among all the smartwatches, especially the larger middle button which is a rotating crown for you to scroll through options or app menu.
Samsung Galaxy Watch Classic is rumored to be released in August this year. It will come with a new One UI Watch interface, which will be overlaid on top of the new Wear OS from Google. Users will be able to access the Google Play Store and Google apps. The load times for all the apps will also be faster, with a more accurate sensor reading.
The latest Fossil Gen 5 model uses Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 3100, which is considered an older wearable chip. We expect the new Samsung Galaxy Watch Classic uses a newer wearable chip from Qualcomm. That should make the new Samsung Smartwatch a hot favorite among all Android users.
I like this article. I’ve never bought a smartwatch but my husband promised to get me one since he works in a tech shop.
I especially appreciate the part related to health and fitness and I love the fact that you did a list of different smartwatches so that people can choose the best one for them, as a smartwatch is not a cheap purchase.
Thank you for the comment. Happy for you to have a loving husband to buy you a standalone smartwatch with eSIM. He will be able to reach you wherever you go for any fitness run or exercise.
Comparing the features and benefits a smartwatch offering, it is value for money in fact. Moreover, you stand to learn another new skill/knowledge in your daily life which will become part of our lifestyle in the years to come. Wearable devices are going to be popular and vast in numbers and varieties for the next few years.
Each of us may carry one of them with us all day long to do some work or tasks and use it to turn on/off some appliances or equipment. It could even be our door or car at home or transportation in public places.
You may suggest your husband reviewing these 11 Best Standalone Smartwatches which we have listed here. Get him to get one for you and start enjoying the freedom of workout without carrying a smartphone.
Cheer to you, Maja for visiting our site!